While most minds automatically jump to New York City upon hearing the word “Brooklyn,” the Brooklyn Bedding Company actually draws its name from the daughter of one of its founders.
Learning more about this family-owned company based in Arizona, the utilization of a family name is a fitting component. And while the Brooklyn Bedding company sells a few different varieties of mattresses, the most popular and highly-regarded by far is the Brooklyn Signature Mattress.
Recently, this mattress was transformed in design from its original build to a hybrid mattress, so we here at Smarttress had to get our hands (and sleeping bodies) on the new and improved model to test it out.
Read on to learn what our Brooklyn Bedding Mattress review has to say.
Brooklyn Signature Mattress Description
In the mid-1990s, the brothers John and Rob Merwin found a calling in finding and scouring old mattresses and giving them new life. They visited factories and learned about the craft of mattress-making out of sheer curiosity, and soon began making mattresses of their own. It wasn’t until John’s wife got on board and urged the brothers to begin selling their products online for other people to enjoy that the company really began.
Fast forward a couple decades, and Brooklyn Bedding is as strong as ever, producing some industry-leading mattresses such as the Brooklyn Signature.
When we at Smarttress first received our Brooklyn Signature delivery, we were impressed by the friendliness and helpful attitude of the delivery team. They offered to assist us in unloading the heavy box and construct our bed, and for the sake of the experience we let them work their magic. The team was punctual and efficient and finished the job much faster than any novice could. With this experience, our initial impression of the company was one that puts great pride in their products and their work.
The Brooklyn Signature is a beautiful mattress, very elegant in design and a perfect blend of new technology and classic features. Suitable for any types of frames and base structures, the Brooklyn Signature can accommodate previously owned frames or allow users to start from scratch with specialty designed frames purchases from the Brooklyn Bedding website. Customers also can choose between different levels of firmness when purchasing their mattress, so everyone is satisfied and all bodily needs are met.
Notable Product Features
After our Brooklyn Bedding mattress review, here are a few of the top components of the Brooklyn Signature that we felt put this mattress on the map:
- The top cover–from .5 to 1.5 inches in thickness depending on firmness level–is made of a cotton blend that provides extreme breathability. The quilt of poly foam is incredibly soft and adds a touch of luxury to the mattress.
- Under the cover is a 2in layer of TitanFlex™, which is a latex-like material that is incredibly durable while still being comfortable and buoyant enough to retain shape. This layer has an infusion of antibacterial gel to help eliminate unpleasant odors and keep the mattress clean and regulate temperature.
- Next in line is another layer of TitanFlex™ that is slightly firmer than the upper layer to provide extra support and allow the mattress to contour to the body.
- On the bottom-most layer are the coils that make this mattress a hybrid. These 6 inches of pocket coils provide excellent support and give the mattress a slight, comfortable bounce while also encouraging airflow.
- The Brooklyn Signature has coils edge-to-edge, which provide excellent edge support. This is a great feature for those of us who sit on the end of our bed to get dressed or fold laundry.
- Plus, because the coils are individually encased, there is little to no motion transfer which is excellent if you’re sleeping in bed with a restless partner.
After completing our careful Brooklyn Bedding mattress review, following are the pros and cons we deemed to be most important for consumers to know before deciding to purchase this mattress:
- 120 Day Sleep Trial: This is an amazing feature that allows users to really adjust to the mattress and see if it’s the right fit for them in a real-life setting.
- 10 Year Warranty: Like many online brands, Brooklyn Bedding offers a lengthy warranty on their mattresses to ensure that customers are 100% satisfied with their purchases and any mishaps are corrected.
- Various Firmness Options: This bed is not a “one size fits all” model. The company gives you options for firmness levels of your mattress, which means you get the perfect level of firmness for your body.
- Well Suited for All Types of Sleepers: Whether you primarily sleep on your side, back, or stomach, the Brooklyn Signature has specifically designed support that can adapt to your body and habits.
- Allergen Friendly: Because the TitanFlex™ material used in the middle layers of the bed simulates latex but is not actually latex, this bed is friendly for folks who have latex allergies.
- Affordability: For this caliber of mattress, the price point is incredibly low. That’s largely because the company ships direct from their manufacturing facilities and cuts out the middleman.
- Excellent Temperature Regulation: The open cell design allows for maximum breathability and keeps you cool at night.
- Shipping within the United States is totally free.
- Tends Towards the Firm Side: While most of our team at Smarttress appreciated the firmness of this mattress and the support that it provides, we made sure the softies amongst us tried it out too. While they were all reasonably satisfied with the mattress and slept well, the mattress was not quite as memory-foam cushioned as they are accustomed to.
- Off-Gassing: Because this mattress is not entirely made of organic materials, the mattress will need time to air out and release unpleasant gas once unboxed.
- Coil Thinness: The inner coils of this mattress are on the thin-side, which–while providing great airflow and buoyancy–may not prove to be the most durable over time. Since this is a relatively new model, we haven’t had time to fully investigate this aspect. Regardless, we at Smarttress believe this is a well-constructed mattress and have high hopes that its durability rate will be high.
Overall, our team at Smarttress was incredibly impressed by the Brooklyn Bedding Company and their Brooklyn Signature model. The hybrid mattress gives the best of all worlds and the customizable firmness of the mattress allows all types of sleepers to find their perfect fit. If you think Brooklyn Bedding might be the company for you, order online today for fast and efficient delivery.